Show Us Your Tips! Ear tips, that is.
Last month, Stephanie Gonzalez (founder of Rescue Me Ohio) and I were fortunate enough to attend a short but informative Feral Cat Seminar at one of our favorite local rescue hangouts, One of A Kind Pets in Akron. The seminar was taught by local trap/neuter/return (TNR) gurus, Jill Kirsch of Cripple Creek Ferals & Friends and Toby Franks of Rescue Ink and Frank’s Ferals. It was such a great afternoon! Jill and Toby are just such amazing people.
I have known about TNR for a few years now, but have never done it before. And just because I knew about TNR, it doesn’t mean I knew how exactly this should be accomplished successfully! I’m really glad I had this opportunity to learn about it.
What Jill and Toby discussed during the seminar:
- What the difference is between feral cats and stray cats
- Why TNR is the most effective and low-cost approach in controlling populations of feral cats (vs. traditional trap and kill methods)
- How to be a feral cat colony caretaker
- What are appropriate traps and where to get them
- What you should do before, during and after trapping
- Where to take the cats you’ve trapped and how to get them there
- Why it’s important to get an ear tip
- How to help the cats recover
I took a lot of notes but don’t want to share them here, because Jill and Toby will be hosting these free seminars on a regular basis! You can learn from the masters themselves!
The next one is April 27, 2013 at One of A Kind Pets. Bring a notepad and pen, and perhaps a donation to the feral cat fund to help them continue their efforts. I highly recommend it!