Thanksgiving is only a day away and a lot of us at Rescue Me Ohio are getting ready to give thanks for our friends, families, food in our bellies and the fur-babies we love so much. If you’re anything like me, “fur-baby” falls under the same category as “family”! I couldn’t imagine my life without them and feel grateful every day I get to share with them. Some days I wonder if they feel the same way!
When I heard people saying that rescue dogs (and cats) give you a certain look that says thank you, I didn’t quite believe it. That’s a nice idea, I would think. But here I am, almost two and a half years into owning two rescue dogs and I can say with certainty that it’s true. It’s a look, a sigh, a head resting on your lap with tired eyes looking up at you that can tell you so much. It’s that happy smile you finally get to see on their face, after months of undoing bad habits that were hard to break.
And that one time, after a really long day when your emotions were running high that they made their way onto your lap and snuggled their big heads next to yours that lets you know how truly thankful they are. And how much they love you. I imagine if my dogs (and yours!) could talk, they would tell us what they’re thankful for and it would be close to these 8 things.
Thank you for…
- Making me part of your family. I once had a family and then I was homeless. I am not sure what happened but I like having a family. I like feeling like someone truly cares about me. You will always be my family!
- The warm, cozy bed (or couch) I share with you each and every night. There have been nights where I was left outside in the cold, chained up, trying to stay warm. I am so thankful to have a warm, soft, comfy bed to rest my head on every night.
- Filling my food and water bowl up every day, and the treats you give me. Thank you for feeding me every day and sneaking me a few treats here and there! I didn’t always have food or clean water, I made do but I sure do love knowing I won’t ever feel hungry again.
- Taking me on walks, runs, hikes and swims. I love being out with you. My most favorite thing in this world to do is to be out-and-about with you! Swimming, hiking, going for walks, playing fetch and car rides. Whenever I see you pull out my leash I know I’m about to have the time of my life with you, thank you!
- Taking a chance on me. I might not be alive if it weren’t for you. When you took a chance on me I was about to be put to sleep because nobody wanted me. I don’t know why but I can’t tell you how thankful I am that you took a chance on me.
- Giving me ice cream cones here and there. They are delicious! I never got ice cream cones until you adopted me, they are so yummy!
- Understanding I still have work to do and that I’m trying my best, considering everything that’s happened to me. There are parts of my story you will never know. I wish I could explain why I misbehave but I can’t. Thank you for understanding and being patient with me. I don’t mean to do the things I do but I’m still learning too.
- Showing me what unconditional love really is. When I was dropped off at the shelter I thought my parents were coming back for me, but they never returned. I sat there, looking through bars, waiting and waiting. Then you came! Now my whole life has changed. Thank you for protecting, respecting and loving me as much as you do. I love you so much!
Even if those thoughts never cross my pups’ minds, I sure am glad they are part of my family and that they took a chance on me. It’s completely changed my life for the better. Please consider adopting a cat or a dog at one of your local shelters this season. If you aren’t in a position to adopt, please consider donating money or items your local shelter is in need of!
Happy Thanksgiving! Have a wonderful, warm, safe and happy holiday!